Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Inspiration this Week

 This week I have been engulfed in poetry. Finishing up this packet does not prove to be easy when my mind won't let me be satisfied with what I write. I don't consider it striving for perfection, I consider it just knowing myself and knowing that I want the poems to represent me. If the poem doesn't scream "Justin!" then I am not happy with it. My poems have always had a sort of atmosphere that I tend to present.

 As I finished my first few poems and reread them I realized something. Every one of my poems is related to a dark subject matter. From death, to suicide, to pain and everything in between I can't ever find inspiration through love or joy. I guess it can be blamed on the fact that I was exposed to too much Edgar Allen Poe and Hawthorne in my early writing. I also feel that pain and sorrow are our most powerful human emotions, and the by far trump love and joy.

 I like my poems to feel like you just got punched in the stomach. I want to take peoples breath away, and not necessarily in a good way. I also derive a lot of inspiration from my music too. I find myself playing Terrible things by Mayday Parade and Watch Me Bleed by Scary Kids Scaring Kids. If you ever have a chance to listen to them they are sad tearjerkers. That is how I want my poems to essentially feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment