Friday, April 4, 2014

Details, details.

This past week we were assigned to read a packet of creative essays. I seemed to have been drawn to a specific one that related science to poetry. Two very unlike fields were related in a very understandable way. It only made sense once they went so far into detail that both subjects did in fact seem to be related. The comparison was dependent on a high amount of detail.

In the comparison throughout the essay there were many examples used. Particularly stating specific poets and scientists and comparing their ideals. Kepler and Whitman seemed to be the main focus in this essay. I enjoyed how entertaining the story was and how much I learned from this essay that may have been lost in the boredom of a textbook.

In creative essays I find myself learning without even knowing it. A specific example was the essay about hummingbirds. I was bombarded by facts and knowledge, but at the same I was indulging in creative ideas that activated my creative thinking. For example Hummingbirds require food every 15 minutes or they will die due to insufficient energy. But I was also using my creative mind by thinking about a superhero resembling a humming bird.

1 comment: